Hi! I am a graduate student at Stanford University. My research interests span a wide range of topics in natural language processing, with a focus on representation learning, natural language generation and its real-world applications. Currently, I am working as a research assistant in StanfordNLP group and advised by Prof. Chris Manning.
Before that, I obtained a bachelor's degree with honours from the Department of Computer Science and Technology at Tsinghua University, and was a research assistant in the THUNLP Group. In 2018, I was very fortunate to closely collaborate with Prof. James Zou on improving automated diagnosis coding from EHRs.
- 03/2020: Announce Stanza: A Python NLP Library for Many Human Languages! Star
- 05/2019: Selected as the best oral presentation at 36th Tsinghua CS Forum for Graduate Students!
- 04/2019: How to infer thousands of diagnoses from EHRs? Check our paper in npj (Nature) Digital Medicine!
- 12/2018: Awarded the SenseTime Scholarship (USD 3,000). Thanks SenseTime Inc.!
- 10/2018: Awarded highly selective National Scholarship!
- 06/2018: Received Tsinghua Research Fellowship with a funding of 7,500 USD!
Department of Computer Science
09/2019-06/2021, Master of Science, GPA: 4.30/4.00
06/2018-09/2018, Visiting Research Intern
Department of Computer Science and Technology
08/2015-07/2019, Bachelor of Engineering, GPA: 3.86/4.00, Ranking 4/154
National Tsing Hua University
Department of Computer Science
07/2017 - 08/2017, Exchange Student, Grades: 100/100
Peng Qi*, Yuhao Zhang*, Yuhui Zhang, Jason Bolton, Christopher D. Manning.
ACL: System Demonstrations (2020).
The Stanford NLP Group's official Python NLP library. It contains support for running various accurate natural language processing tools on 60+ languages and for accessing the Java Stanford CoreNLP software from Python.
VetTag: improving automated veterinary diagnosis coding via large-scale language modeling. [PDF][BLOG]
Yuhui Zhang*, Allen Nie*, Ashley Zehnder, Rodney Page, James Zou.
Nature Digital Medicine (2019).
We extend DeepTag from four directions: from 42 coarse-grained diagnosis coding to 4,577 fine-grained coding, language modeling to utilize large-scale unlabeled EHRs, hierarchical training to address diagnosis hierarchy, and word visualization for interpretation.
Zhipeng Guo*, Xiaoyuan Yi*, Maosong Sun, Wenhao Li, Cheng Yang, Jiannan Liang, Huimin Chen, Yuhui Zhang, Ruoyu Li.
ACL: System Demonstrations (2019).
Machine should not replace human in poem generation. We propose Jiuge, a human-machine collaborative Chinese poetry generation system, to allow constant and active user participation in poem creation.
Yuhui Zhang*, Allen Nie*, James Zou.
NeurIPS: Machine Learning for Health Workshop (2018).
Massive veterinary EHRs remain unlabeled. We significantly improve diagnosis coding and cross-hospital generalization via utilizing these large-scale unlabeled EHRs.
Allen Nie*, Ashley Zehnder*, Rodney Page, Yuhui Zhang, A. Pineda, M. Rivas, C. Bustamante, James Zou.
Nature Digital Medicine (2018).
Manual coding is time-consuming and expensive. We develop large-scale algorithm to automatically predict standard diagnosis codes from EHRs and evaluate in challenging cross-hospital settings.
THUOCL: Tsinghua Open Chinese Lexicon. [LINK]
Shiyi Han*, Yuhui Zhang*, Yunshan Ma, Cunchao Tu, Zhipeng Guo, Zhiyuan Liu, Maosong Sun.
Technical Report (2016).
THUOCL is a set of high-quality Chinese lexicon and can be used to improve many Chinese NLP tasks.
- 2019 Best Oral Presentation Award (Presented VetTag at 36th Tsinghua CS Graduate Forum) [slides]
- 2019 Research Career Award (Awarded from Tsinghua CS)
- 2018 National Scholarship (Top 0.2% in China, Highest Honor for Undergraduate)
- 2018 SenseTime Scholarship for AI Research (Top 30 in China)
- 2018 Qualcomm Scholarship for Research (Top 33/3300 at Tsinghua)
- 2018 Tsinghua Research Fellowship (Top 50/3300 at Tsinghua)
- 2018 Comprehensive Performance Scholarship (Top 8/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2018 Social Practice Scholarship (Top 1/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2017 China Scholarship Council Undergraduate Fellowship (Top 4500 in China)
- 2017 Comprehensive Performance Scholarship (Top 8/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2016 Academic Performance Scholarship (Top 15/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2016 Social Practice Scholarship (Top 2/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2015 Freshman Scholarship (Top 150/3300 at Tsinghua)
- 2014 National Chemistry Olympiad Finals 1st Prize (Top 0.1% in China)
- Reviewer: ACL 2020, EMNLP 2020
I enjoy reading a wide range of books. My favorite books: To Live (Hua Yu), Walden (Henry David Thoreau), Principles of Economics (N. Gregory Mankiw). I enjoy running and swimming in the evening. I love classical music, and I learned to play the guitar, piano, and pipa at Tsinghua University.