Please circle your responses:
1. Are you : Male Female
2. Class: Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior (or Senior +)
3. Would you consider yourself to be: Fuzzy Techie Both
4. About how many hours per day do you use
the Internet? ___________
How many of those hours are spent communicating (emailing, AIMing, ICQing, etc)? _____________
5. What do you use the Internet for? (circle all that apply)
Research Chat News Web surfing
Shopping Email Porn Phone Calls
Games Sports Music Movies/TV
Lectures Notes Other (please specify) ________________
6. Are any of your classes available online? Yes No
If so, do you watch class lectures online? Yes No
If you do watch lectures
online instead of going to class, why?
7. About how many hours per week do you:
Talk on the phone _______
Chat/Instant msg. _______
Visit friends _______
8. On an average weeknight, how many hours
of sleep do you get? ____________
9. In the following table, check the boxes that apply to the ways in which you prefer to communicate with the following people:
Instant message/ ICQ/ etc.
Close Stanford friends
Potential love interests
10. I have friends I feel more comfortable emailing or IM-ing than calling or visiting. True False
Why or why not?
11. If you had to choose, would you say
that the Internet makes you feel more: Isolated Connected to people
12. I use the Internet to procrastinate. True False
13. Using the Internet has taken time away
If so, do most of your friends play games on the Internet? Yes No
15. I spend most of my free time in my
16. What do you feel are the most positive
ways the Internet has affected the way you communicate?
17. What do you feel are the most negative ways the Internet has affected the way you communicate?
18. What is the least frequently you can comfortably go without checking your email? ________________
19. How has the Internet affected your relationships with your friends?
20. How has the Internet affected your relationships with your family?
21. Do you know anyone who you would characterize as an Internet addict? Yes No
If yes, why would you characterize them as such?
22. Has the Internet ever made you feel depressed or isolated? Yes No
23. In your opinion, does the Internet have an isolating effect on people in general: Yes No
Why or why not?