Please note that Additional Degree/Change of Degree programs are for current Stanford students only.
Applicants to the Computer Science Additional Degree/Change of Degree programs are now asked to apply the same way external applicants would. Our department does not do graduate authorization petition.
Our MS degree does not automatically lead into the Ph.D. degree program. Applicants interested in pursuing a Ph.D. degree should apply to that program directly.
The $125 application fee will need to be paid online before you can submit the application.
For application deadlines for Additional Degree/Change of Degree, please see the deadlines section of this site.
THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE DEADLINE:
- Online application via http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions.
- Statement of Purpose - concise, focused, and well written.
- 3 letters of recommendation using the University's online application system.(We recommend that at least 2 of these letters be from academic sources.)
- Complete the Supplementary Information form in the University's online application system. Calculate overall and technical GPA. Technical GPA is defined as all computer science courses, engineering (except writing), mathematics and hard sciences (chemistry, physics.) Do not normalize or convert GPA to a 4.0 scale.
GPA calculation: Maximum GPA at Stanford for most students is 4.3. It is best to use the GPA reflected in Axess as of the application deadline. For your GPA for classes taken outside of Stanford, use the maximum for the school as is defined on the back of the transcript. If a cumulative GPA is not provided, please calculate one using the same general criteria outlined on the Registrar's website.
- Upload a copy of your official transcript or e-transcript on the online application.
- General GRE test scores. Taking the Subject GRE test is highly recommended if you are a Ph.D. applicant. The GRE scores must be from an examination taken within 5 years of the application deadline. You must self-report your scores on the online application in addition to requesting that official copies be sent directly to the University by ETS, institution code 4704, department code 0402.
It will not be possible to answer inquiries regarding the status of any application. We will contact you if any component of your application is missing.
If you have questions or concerns, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.