2005-2009 Undergrad: CS, Physics and Math at University of Toronto. 2009-2011 Masters: CS at University of British Columbia. I worked with Michiel van de Panne on Motor Control in physically simulated articulated figures. Summer 2011 and Summer 2013, Google Research: Large scale Deep Learning for video classification.
My main research interests are in Machine Learning (with emphasis on deep learning) and my preferred application domain is Vision. I like my data large, my algorithms simple, and my labels weak. I maintain a mostly academic blog for fun. I wish all researchers had one.
Large-Scale Video Classification with Convolutional Neural Networks Andrej Karpathy, George Toderici, Sanketh Shetty, Thomas Leung, Rahul Sukthankar, Li Fei-Fei CVPR 2014 (oral).
Grounded Compositional Semantics for Finding and Describing Images with Sentences Richard Socher, Andrej Karpathy, Quoc V. Le, Christopher D. Manning, Andrew Y. Ng TACL 2013
Object Discovery in 3D scenes via Shape Analysis Andrej Karpathy, Stephen Miller, Li Fei-Fei ICRA 2013.
Emergence of Object-Selective Features in Unsupervised Feature Learning Adam Coates, Andrej Karpathy, Andrew Ng NIPS 2012.
iPhone app (Objective C). Made over $20,000 on this so far :). I've also ported it to an Android app (phew!)
- Also, I recently released a 2-4 player iPad game called Loud Snakes. - I also hacked on a photo sharing iPhone app but turns out I underestimated the amount of work necessary :)
Sketcher [video] (Python) simulates a person drawing an image.
- Advice for doing well in undergrad classes
- Little comic-like things I make for fun sometimes
- My Speedcubing page. This now averages about ~1200 views/day, I'm happy that people find it useful when learning to cube.
- OPML of some of the blogs I follow: RSS feeds (can import to RSS readers)