The Soviet Union Overview:
The Soviet Union started developing its
chemical and biological weapons program in 1926. During World War II, production of all types of chemical agents
increased dramatically. As with most
other countries involved in World War II, the Soviets never deployed its
weapons; instead, it stockpiled them as a deterrent.
Soviets focused on typhus as a BW agent, but also included an
aircraft-mounted dispenser for Yersinia pestis (Plague) which reportedly
sprayed an emulsion of the agent
alone was produced by 30 plants with a total capacity of 35,000 tons/year,
and Lewisite was produced by 13 plants.
also built aerial bombs, filled with a mixture of deadly lewisite, a
blistering poison gas, and yperite, a sulfur mustard gas.